Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Don't give up, teen homelessness

On my way to school this morning I turned on the radio to listen to the local news. I was stunned to learn that in my state alone 3,000 teenagers are homeless.
For our group project we have decided to research teenage homelessness in Michigan and write up a proposal at the end of our project to give to our local senators. The agency that I am currently doing my field work at has a shelter in which we house up to 40 beds. I have seen a lot of children and teens walk through the door. I find it devastating that teenagers are living on the street. This is a community issue because if a child/teen is left homeless they often turn to gangs and drugs and the rate of school drop out increases. This then effects the tax payers who will be paying for these teenagers who become delinquents and go to jail.
The following is a documentary on teen homelessness by Pulitzer-prize winning photojournalist David Leeson

http://www.causecast.org/videos/5816-homeless-teens-at-covenant-house-houston-share-their-stories

1 comment:

HF said...

I pray your proposal gets accepted insha'allah. I dont understand, how can the parents just let the kids on their own? But yeah i know the stories about living with a step parent and they quite often not treating the kid well and all. I really feel for the homeless people..especially girls and women...insha'allah will watch the documentary.